Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wednesday, Day 2 (week 2)

Breakfast: Toast with Raspberry Jam and Butter
Lunch: Homemade Pizza, Golden Apple slices
Dinner: Bean Nachoes, with friends
Snacks: Choc-chip Cookies, apple, banana, Fruit Strings

I normally make pizza base with yeast that is delicious- but the pizza we made today was still delicious, and super-quick.

QUICK PIZZA

2C Flour
2t Baking Powder (I don't measure it properly, I may have used closer to 3t- it was really fluffy)
1/2t Salt
1t Mixed Herbs (I used parsley)
2T Olive OIl
up to 1C Warm Water (get a cup ready, but you don;t have to use it all)

Add the dry ingredients, then the oil, then add water and mix. Add more if necessary. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, and roll out on a floured board.

I only added tomato paste and cheese, with onion on one half (for Tombliboo and I), and I put chilli powder on top at he end...yum!

Bake on 180 degrees for around 25 minutes, or until it's done.

I had some choc-chip cookies to put in the oven after the pizza was out. I made a double batch, cooked one lot (yum!) and made the rest in to flattened balls on a cookie tray, and froze them....that way I will just need ot cook them for 5 minutes longer, and we can have nice hot biscuits on another day without any effort.

I use half the suggested sugar amount in the recipe, and they still taste delicious. Also, the kids don't seem to notice- they are still a sweet treat.

BEAN NACHOES

These were superb. I don't even think dh noticed there was no meat. I sauteed a red onion, a brown onion and some chopped garlic. Added 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and 1/4C of tomato paste. Let it simmer and reduce. I added salt, peper, ground cumin, cinnamon, coriander and a touch of chilli powder (I add more once the kids have their meals dished up). Next I added a can of rinsed kidney beans (hate brine), and a tin of Craig's Mexican (Hot) chilli Beans (these are the only ones that don't contain wheat).

I dish it up on to a bed of corn chips, and then the kids (and our guests) can choose what they want around it...lettuce, tomato, cucumber, grated carrot, with cheese and sour cream on top.

It was nice to have a wheat-free meal...one thing with this new regime, it seems like we have wheat all over the place. I can't see how to get shopping this cheap without lots of wheat though :0(

1 comment:

  1. I also added 2 large flat mushrooms, really finely chopped to the nachoes- noone noticed, but I'm sure it boosted the protein of the meal.

    ReplyDelete