Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Shopping (take two)



Tombliboo woke up desperate for bananas, so we bought some things this morning, and I went back with J-Man to get the rest tonight. having the kids with me meant I bought all sorts of extras I wouldn't have bought had I been alone- but I didn't feel too bad about it since there is still plenty of food at home, and I didn't think we honestly needed $200 for the second week prior to being paid again...I sense a possible cut in the budget already- yay!

One step at a time :0)

So, first off we spent $69.70 and purchase nothing in particular...sigh.

10 bananas, some ready to eat now, some more green. I looked up (just now) how to make them last a bit longer. I wondered about the "Green Bananas" in our shop, but assumed they were some sort of specialty fruit...doh...turns out I already have a solution.

OK, so I got 10 bananas, some fruit strings (sigh....natural, but still sugar-laden, and not particularly kind on the budget though they were on sale), mini potato biggest...well these were not on the budget, and I could make potato chips for less- but they were on sale for $2, and with some ready-made chicken kebabs- I did an easy lunch for the 4 of us for $4- so no real complaints, 500g baking soda, hoisin sauce (for making delicious noodles, or using as a marinade), kikkoman soy sauce (naturally brewed, without added msg, and not as insipid as tamari), pkt of 10 mini easter eggs (Tombliboo just had to have them and the whole wide world would have known about it if I wasn't quick), 3 slices of streaky bacon from the deli (it only cost $1.80!), a ham steak, some nice coloured (dried) pasta, some flat mushrooms (6 for $1.35!), 1,5kg carrots, 750g tomatoes, 1.5kg sugar, 250ml balsamic vinegar (for less than the price I normally pay for cheap balsamic viniagrette already made up- it's time I went back to making my own, and I'm wondering why I stopped?), Anathoths Raspberry jam (only raspberries and sugar- so yummy- tastes like Nan's!), pkt of chilli powder, pkt of lollies, Oyster sauce (again fr the noodles, mmm), 250g Cocoa and a acket of corn cruskits...these weren't on the list, but they are Princess's favourite snack, and they only contain corn and sea salt.

The second round came to $131.77, for a total of $200.47...but $6 (actually more) of that was for celebrating J-Man's month day.

I'll send dh off to a different shop to get corn chips without msg for our nachoes tomorrow night...also a lemon, and a bottle of cream (about $10 worth in total).

The bummer of tonight's shopping was that I found 400g packs of baking soda on sale for 99c- I got 2...in other words, I got 800g for $1.98 tonight, and 500g for $2.48 this morning! I would have been far more easily distracted this morning trying to get through as quickly as possible since my toddler does not enjoy shopping.

As well as more baking soda, I got some packets of sultanas, a loaf of multigrain bread, 1kg Weetbix, a tin of apricots and one of tropical fruit salad, tins of mexican beans, kidney beas and 4 bean mix, 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, a 750g jar of pasta sauce (I don;t normally buy this- but it wasn;t much more than 2 tins of tomatoes, and I lie kteh size of the jar- it was also giving 2 free flybuys points, which otherwise cost me $50), a natural laundry powder, 2L bleach (I also don;t normally buy bleach- but the kiddos have had some fun in mud, and their whites are brown), macaroni, dried spahetti, dried lasagne sheets, 375g plain dried noodles, 2 toothbrushes (colgate budget ones for less than the price of one fairly standard brush- yay), 375g crunchy peanut butter, 1kg brown sugar, 500g icing sugar, 750ml blackcurrant concentrate (the kids and dh love this as a hot drink), special reserve feta (to make salads more interesting), sour cream, 500g cheese, 2L organic milk, 1.5kg plain flour, a red onion, a bulb of garlic, a piece of root ginger, 1.5kg onions, a lettuce, a large cucumber, a bunch of pak choy, @ 1kg each of golden apples, royal galas, pears, 8 more flat mushrooms, 6 free range eggs, 500g butter and 2L ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment