Saturday, March 28, 2009

Another Learning Curve



I've found a hole in one of Princess' baby teeth. She won;t let me look at it, but it is there- very grey in deed. I'm not sure how deep it is, she'll let me in another time. This is actually number 3 for her. She has two (now very large) holes that we are opting not to fill. We didn't opt not to treat them at all- but sadly, that is what we have done.

Nothing can assuage my guilt on that, but at least this new piece of horrible news has propelled me forward.

Luckily too, I have at least 4 friends who have already moved in that direction so I won't have to slog it out as much as they probably did. Yes, I'm stubborn. Yes, I have good friends that have given me good information before, but I chose to think about it later. Silly, silly me.

I was already starting to cut sugar a bit, but not in any real way. A bit here and there, but nowhere near enough, and not particularly quickly either.

I had started to think of other ways to get "sweet", and was making a lot of headway there...until, a good friend said there was little point eliminating/minimising sugar if we were still eating refined grains. Oh dear.

So, now I need to work out how to stick to my budget, avoid sugar, and avoid refined grains. I didn't like how much wheat we were eating, or sugar for that matter...but I am struggling just at the moment to get my head around feeding us all for a week on $200 with no pasta or bread to fill us up. And what about lunch? Princess doesn't like salad, or eggs. She's intolerant to potato, not that you would guess with the amount I feed her...oh, I am a bad mother :0(

Looks like her body new best- she loves meat. She doesn't want all these other things in place of meat- she wants meat...and it's one thing that won;t upset her body (because of intolerance) or hurt her teeth.

I've worked out a new shopping list, and it looks pretty good...and I think I can do this. I need to work out a new menu plan, but already ideas are forming about how it will all pan out.

I probably need a big sign up in the kitchen to remind me (and my little girl) about what we are doing and why. She has been wonderful, we've talked things over and she is happy to make big changes to try to heal her teeth, or at least not make them any worse.

As for me, I will miss sugar in my tea...I have tried and tired to have it without- and while it is drinkable, I don't enjoy it, and usually just stop drinking it altogether. I still haven't discussed things with J-Man, and this will all affect him, for the better too, but he probably won't like to hear it.

dh is inclined to think a toothbrushing after sugar will suffice, but I don't think so. A more gradual move to a new regime makes sense too, but it's not my style. Still, I normally begin things with a hiss and a roar, then fizzle. As you have probably already seen.

I've packaged up the sugar to give away...why not just throw it? Can't, too Scottish. I forgot I'm getting organic raw sugar (5kg...doh!) this week, but will find it a new home.

I'll post my new shopping list shortly.

Oh, that's not the most exciting part...

We finally got our own raw milk! dh, Princess and Tombliboo drove to a farm to pick up raw milk, raw cream, free range eggs and an organic boiling chicken.

We will go each week...raw milk is supposed to be fine for lactose intolerant people. We'll know shortly...or probably not, since we've all been eating a lot of dairy lately anyway...but I'm pretending all is well.

Princess wants us to never run out of blueberries and cruskits and she will be happy, lol...and she loves frozen mixed berries and raw (thick) cream.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am really enjoying this new blog of yours!

    My Princess is quite the carnivore, too. She mostly likes roast chicken and ground beef. We started buyiing a quarter cow when we can afford it or splitting one when we can't. We save a lot that way.

    I'm so glad you found raw dairy! I still can't get raw cream and I'm not willing to remove the cream from the milk.

    As for sweetener, I can't drink my tea without it being sweet. I've started using Stevia. It's made from Stevia leaves. I love it in tea. Try to get the brown liquid because it is less processed.Most people use only one or two drops per cup of tea, I use 10. Eek! But that's the way I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it :0)

    We will buy half a cow with dh's folks when we move...ick, lol.

    Raw cream is sooo nice...yum! Double cream. even better- fabulous even.

    I hate stevia, I really do...but I just have to try it...I am sad about my cups of tea :0(

    My stevia is pale...but was given to me by a friend very concerned about health and diet.

    I am quite excited abotu all these changes, I would love recipes!

    ReplyDelete