Saturday, March 28, 2009

Friday, Week 2



Breakfast: Omelette (Plain) for J-Man, Tombliboo and I; Jam and Peanut Butter on
frozen bread for Princess (yes, that's what she asked for)
Lunch: Hot (homemade)Chips...Princess told me chips are terribly bad for you
because of all the fat. I explained I bake them with only 2T oil so they
are not like the ones fried in oil at the shop :0)
Dinner: Noodles with Steak...or just noodles for J-Man, noodles without greens for
Princess, noodles with chilli powder for dh and I, and no steak in mine :0)
Snacks: Pear, banana, apple, carrots, homemade choc-chip cookies...I keep
forgetting to say Tombliboo has a mini cucumber from our garden each
day...I guess they are probably the kind you grow to make gherkins- he gets
really excited looking for them, and loves to eat them- I must remember to
find more seeds for next year!

The noodles were delicious. I had far too many. I only used one small steak- put the other in the freezer. I cut the fat off both first, and put them in a pot with the "stock vegetable scraps" I had been saving all week (carrot peelings, onion tops and bottoms, brocolli stalk, celery), added salt, pepper and parsley and made stock.

I've never made my own beef stock before. It smelled nice. It's in the freezer waiting for a recipe that needs it. I have since read that if you want to get all the goodness out of bones (which I didn't use remember, lol, but for future) you must boil them for 6 hours. Who knew? (Besides Johanna, Nola, and Natalie and Karen, lol). Sigh...I'm on another learning curve.

1 comment:

  1. I use all the veggie trimming for my stock, too! I'm always amazed at how delicious stock from chicken bones, veggie scraps, apple cider vinegar and water tastes. And it's practically free!

    Your noodle dinner looks delicious...yum!

    ReplyDelete