Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thursday (Day 3)




Breakfast: Porridge, with brown sugar (and cream)...the first time in my life I have
eaten porridge 3 days in a row (and still loving it!)
Lunch: Homemade Fried Rice, which I liked and the kids hated (and wouldn't eat).
To be fair, it was not at all like Chinese Takeaway Fried Rice- it was more
gluggy (not sure why...if you know, please say!)
Dinner: Spahetti Bolognaise
Snacks: Watermelon, mousetraps, homemade face biscuits, celery (J-Man), apples

Spag bol is a great money-saver I think. I often make it with just lentils, though noone but me particularly likes it. Tonight I made it with half and half lentils and beef mince (I don't think anyone noticed). I put half the packet of mince in the freezer for another day.

I added some mashed kumara I had leftover in to the mix. Sometimes I put in mashed pumpkin, or grated carrot or courgette, or cooked silverbeet or spinach. That makes it go further, and also ups the vege-content of the meal.

Tonight's concoction contained 300g mince, 1C red lentils, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, 1/4C tomato paste (frozen from another day), kumara, onion and garlic, parsley from our garden and dried basil, salt and pepper, lemon juice. Actually, I wash the (half) lemon, and put it in the pot to make it extra lemony. I also added some flour when the mince and onion was cooked, to thicken it (and the water from rinsing out the cans of tomatoes). It was very nice, and gave one hungry husband a huge dinner, plus fed the rest of us, gave him a snack for after we went out, a big lunch for tomorrow, and another 2 cups or so to use on another day.


Photo note: I make face biscuits with ordinary biscuit recipe, thick enough to be rolled out. I made the shape with the top of a large glass. I added the "eyes" (choc chips) before cooking, leaving enough room for hair. The noses are the ends of TNCC sour worms, and they have been glued on with icing. I put icing on st the top, then sprinkled chocolate hail (I've done it before with 100's & 1000's, but was making these colour-free). I drew the mouths on with the icing, using a teaspoon.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know this magazine (paper and online) to give you cheap meals ideas : http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/ ?

    ReplyDelete