Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day One (Tuesday)

Breakfast: Porridge with brown sugar (and cream for me...who knew you could make breakfast taste like pudding with just one more ingredient!?)
Lunch: Homemade hot chips
Snacks: Bananas, popcorn, toast, homemade honey bubble crunch and choc chip cookies.
Dinner: Chicken (about 350g- saved the rest for another meal), rice, homemade satay sauce, courgettes (from our garden, and scallopini from a friends') and salad (lettuce, tomato and cucumber)

This was like hitting the jackpot for me! The kids all loved it...we have been on a bit of a health kick, and the kids just flat-out didn't like brown rice. We've gone back to white (basmati, so not quite so bad on the GI). I made the satay sauce, and put it in a separate dish for J-Man (who likes plain...very plain), and he loved it. I made enough for dh to take lunch to work tomorrow, and extra rice for us to make fried rice for lunch tomorrow.

Here is my satay sauce recipe...I like it because it doesn't use masses of peanut butter like others I have seen.

1 small onion
1 clove (or teaspoon)of garlic (I got lots of garlic a while ago, and mushed it n the food processor with a small amount of olive oil)
1-2 T oil
1T Tomato Sauce
1T vinegar
chilli powder (or not, probably won't matter- but I put in a little for taste, and the kids still liked it)
1T Soy sauce
1C water (use less for a thicker sauce)
1/4-1/3C Peanut Butter

Saute onion and garlic, then add other ingredients (except peanut butter. Bring to the boil, and boil for 3 minutes. Add peanut butter, and stir through.

Please note: My children complain bitterly about onion. If they see any, they will pick it out...but I chop it finely, they didn't notice in this sauce. I have told them they eat onion at nearly every dinner, but they think I am joking (I'm not).

No comments:

Post a Comment