Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Saving Money on Cleaning Products



There is more than just the frugal aspect to saving money on cleaning products...there is the planet to consider, and our own bodies. We are not meant to be inhaling the fumes most supermarket cleaning products give off.

Some people are more sensitive than others, for sure, but everyone would be better off not being around potent chemicals.

There is plenty of money to be saved by avoiding these items. There has even been a whole niche market opened for non-toxic, healthy-for-the-planet cleaners...these are a better alternative, but the fact remains- most of it is completely unnecessary!

There is very little that baking soda and vinegar (and some elbow grease) can't clean :0)

KITCHEN:

Washing Dishes...I use ecostore dishwash. I read recently you can use citric acid in dishwashers, so I presume the same is true of sink dishes. I'm keen to try it, but haven't got there yet.

I wash the sink surround (which gets impossibly groady) with an old tooth brush. Whenever we have lemons I use a half lemon to scrub around that area, and the inside of the sink...it makes it smell nice, and shine. I use a spray bottle with half and half water and vinegar, and baking soda when I think it is warranted.

Floors: I use boiling hot water, and dishwash.

Cupboards and surfaces: I have used vinegar (and will again), but currently am using an ecostore cleaner I bought when Tombliboo was a baby!

Other surfaces: Vinegar does nicely- it stinks a bit, but only for a short amount of time. You can add essential oils to the mix. You can also use plain old hot water and elbow grease.

I use flannels I have specially set aside for cleaning. I no longer buy products to do these jobs. I use a scrubbing brush, scourer and flannels in the kitchen. This way the flannels can get washed every day, and there is nothing sitting around attracting, or breeding germs.

TOILET: I have some ecostore toilet cleaner I'm using up. It's the second one I've bought since Tombliboo was born (28 months ago). Mostly I use vinegar on the floor around the toilet, and the cleaner on the seat. Inside I just scrub hard, and add some vinegar. I've never used baking soda, but I'm sure it would work a treat. When I have it, I add bleach, but that seems to go against everything else have said!

BATHROOM: You know what I'm going to say already...I use vinegar and water, and baking soda. I also use a microfibre cleaning cloth on the mirror. That is- I wipe it down with a flannel and water, scrubbing where necessary. Then I wipe it dry with the cleaning cloth...works beautifully.

In the bath/shower, I use baking soda and vinegar, and I scrub wit ha scourer- I usually do this when I'm having a shower so it is easily rinsed away.

CARPETS: I f I had my way, I wouldn't have any. They're germ-filled no matter how good you are at vacuuming...and I am not a clean-freak. Our new hose will have cork floors...I have been wishing for no carpets for years!

If having a carpet is inescapable, I think a Bissel Spot Cleaner (or some other such thing) is essential...it might cost around $250 initially, but the benefits will be well worthwhile. It is like steamcleaning the carpets yourself, but without much extra effort.

I vaccuum fairly often, and use a dustbuster for small spillages...or the dustpan and brush then throw it out to the birds. Once a month or so, I sprinkle a mixture of baking soda and essential oil all over the carpets, and vacuum that up. Notice the carpet cleaners in the shop introduced a Magic, Wonderful New product- baking soda...lol...all for only $6 or so. Too funny. As I said with the shopping last night- I got 800g of baking soda for $2. I havne't seen it that cheap before, but even at full price ($2.50/500g) it is still an insanely cheap (and super-effective) cleaning product. What else can you use in place of shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, and as a carpet cleaner, in your washing, and on nearly every surface of the house?

LAUNDRY:

I mostly use soapnuts and tea-tree oil, but they don't really clean anything well. That's when you ask yourself if it is important...I mean, they are clean, in the technical sense, but they don't necessarily look clean.

Whites don't stay white...they go greyish. There is supposed to be a (natural) product available that will fix that, but I haven't used it yet. Stains don't really come out. Our clothes aren't too badly off, but Princess' clothes are diabolical. She is my messiest child by far. Well, Tombliboo is close, but since he so rarely wears clothes it is not as much of an issue.

I've got a "down to earth" cleaner at the moment, hoping to restore a bit of cleanliness to our clothes...I don't think it's working, but there it is.

1 comment:

  1. I wondered about those soap nuts. For laundry detergent I've been using Seventh Generation. It's not a cost saver, but it is better for the environment. I do cut costs in other places like cleaning products. Vinegar and baking soda do so much, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete