Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pancakes for Breakfast

We nearly always have pancakes for breakfast on Sunday morning. We also have them on birthdays and public holidays, or if we have friends staying. We got a wafflemaker with our flybuys points recently, and sometimes have them instead.

I have the best pancake recipe and I will share it today because it is sooo good! I found it on the back of a Cottee's Maple Flavored Syrup bottle when J-Man was a toddler. We've been eating them each week since then. We double the mixture now, and we could probably eat a few more, but this works for the 5 of us...

BEST EVER PANCAKES

2C Flour
1.5C Milk
4 eggs, separated

That's all! I know, crazy isn't it! The original recipe had 1t of sugar, but I didn't think that would make any difference, so I don't add it.

You need 2 bowls...the first one is for the flour, then add the egg yolks. The 2nd is for the egg whites. Beat them first, until really thick/stiff. That way you don't have to wash the beaters in the middle. Next add the milk slowly, while beating the yolks and flour. Fold the egg whites in and away you go.

These are really fluffy, and they don;t need to be yummy alone- that's what toppings are for :0)

I sued to spend a lot of money on Maple Syrup, making sure we had the very best stuff available (about $8 fora 250 or 300ml bottle). The I noticed one day in the Nasty Food awards (lol- I didn't check the bottle) that it contained water and sugar. maple Syrup doesn't need an ingredient list, it's maple syrup fro ma maple tree. So I stopped buying that, and started making my own (courtesy of The Destitute Gourmet).

Btw, if you don;t have a Destitute Gourmet cookbook- you should! You can get them cheap on Trade Me, lol.

Maple-Flavoured Syrup


1/2C Brown Sugar
1/4C Water
1t Vanilla Essence

Boil for 3 minutes. That's all. Very yummy...I make it at the same time as I make the first pancake, so it is fresh each morning.

1 comment:

  1. I have to try out your pancake recipe.

    The funny about your syrup recipe is that my Ma posted the same recipe on a message board the other day saying it tastes awesome. I'm going to have to make some and try it out.

    ReplyDelete