Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tuesday (Day 1, week three)


Breakfast: Rice Bubbles and Raw Milk (Daddy and Tombliboo- this is the first time
Tombliboo has had milk on his rice bubbles); Muesli and Yoghurt (Princess),
Creamed Corn (J_man) and an apple and a *cough* easter egg for me (on my way
home with all the shopping).
Lunch: I made kebabs for the kids with a Kransky sausage, cubes of cheese and a
cocktail onion (which they wouldn't eat), rings of cucumber, carrot sticks
and pieces of nashi pear
Dinner: (Crockpot) Chicken Casserole and mashed potatoes
Snacks: Nashi pear, pear, potato chips, popcorn, banana, apple, raisins, carrots,
sandwiches, cruskits with marmite

Chicken Casserole

I added far too much water to the crockpot, and still didn't cover the big boiling chicken (which really grossed me out, being so used to meat nicely prepared at the supermarket), chopped onions, a lemon (squeezed and cut in to 4), a few carrots, 2 sticks of celery, some paprika, salt and pepper and mixed herbs.

It wasn't looking good...there didn't seem to be any meat on the carcass, and it was way too watery...but my good friend N said to pop it in a pot and reduce it, and add some rosemary. I thickened it, and added more salt and a bit of xylitol, then some chilli powder once the kids' meals were dished up. It was pretty nice, and surprisingly there was loads of chicken.

Princess liked it, except for the cooked carrots (lol), but J-Man wouldn't touch it. Tombliboo hadn't slept so he missed dinner completely.

While the stew was cooking, dh started making some ice cream, but he put the egg whites in with the xylitol instead of the egg yolks. I thought I'd fix it by making meringues, but just guessing. When I checked the recipe, I realised I had put vinegar in when none was required...so I thought we;d make pavlova instead. Then checked *that* recipe, and saw it needed cornflour and water, so didn't have high hopes of it working out. I also noticed (too late) that I only had half the amount of sugar in that was required...it was pretty horrible, but at least now I understand how my low-carb friend N (a different N, lol) makes bread from egg whites!


No comments:

Post a Comment