Friday, April 3, 2009

Saturday, day 4 week 3

Breakfast: Porridge with honey (and cream), and xylitol for the littlies...dh put half
as much honey on twice as much porridge as I did and declared it delicious.
Mine, otoh and rather obviously probably, was disgustingly sweet and tasted
only of honey.
Btw, our honey is from a friends' bees...it has all the good bits still in,
including propolis which has almost magical healing properties. I hope to
find ways to get that in to the kids to avoid winter coughs and colds.

Lunch: At a birthday party...there was masses of barbecued meat which the kids
(especially Princesss) thoroughly enjoyed. They also ate cucumber,
lettuce (J-Man), carrots and cherry tomatoes. Without any discussion on
the matter they avoided white bread rolls, which surprised me somewhat.
It got a bit worse with birthday cake to follow, and jelly, but they ate
very little since they were having too much fun on a bouncy castle.

Then it got really bad with a party bag overloaded with mini chocolates
and biscuits etc. It would have been a lot to share between 3 kids, but
they got one each!

I felt a bit gutted that we have tried hard to avoid treats this week, and
it's a bit undone...but then I got real, and remembered they have eaten
rubbish for years and one more day won't be any worse..except it's not a
day's worth of treats (more like a month's, lol).

The dentist I used to work for said it is preferable to eat loads of
lollies at once than a little over a long period...so I tried to encourage
them to eat as many as they liked...and also offered to buy the sweets off
them for 50c each. Josh took 50C and Princess took $3...her's are nearly
gone now- hooray :0)

Dinner: Nachoes
Snacks: lollies all over the place

In other news, my first attempt at catching a sourdough starter is going great! If I have done it right (and I think I have) it is dead easy...

I've taken off the first lot, and added flour to it, kneaded it and rolled little mounds into mini pizzas. I've cooked them in an electric fry pan, and don't have nay idea what they taste like, but hope it will be something snackified for having with jam or honey.

I added more flour and water to the starter, and am waiting for it to increase in size by 50% and get all bubbly...then the next time it does the same, we'll be ready to make our first loaf of bread :0)

1 comment:

  1. Are you using the NT sour dough recipe? I am really excited to hear how your first loaf turns out!! Please post and let us know. If you are using something different (and it turns out well) will you share that recipe?
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete