Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hot Cross Buns!



I made hot cross buns from the sourdough! They were good!

It was on a bit of a whim really, though I had thought of it earlier in the week. I suddenly realised if we wanted to eat them on Good Friday morning (as we usually would), I would need to get them started on Thursday night.

With all the busy-ness around here my sourdough has not been fed properly, and it was all turning to rubbish...there were no bubbles, and only a slight sour smell. I didn't have any hopes of the buns rising, but hoped it wouldn't matter.

It really didn't...sourdough, Karen assured me, and I am discovering for myself is very flexible :0)

We had our first date since my 30th birthday last night, so it was a rush to get them organised....but i did it.

This is what I did...At the final stage, I added flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, nutmeg, a pinch of salt, a little xylitol (sugar replacement) and some cocoa. Kneaded as usualy, then made little buns out of them. Left them in the oven overnight.

This morning, I added crosses, baked them for 30 minutes, then glazed them.

They're not overly pretty, but they tasted great.

J-Man wouldn't try one, Tombliboo said, I 'fraid I don't like dis" (but he has never been in to bread of any sort), but Princess, dh and I loved them!

3 comments:

  1. They look good! You are getting so creative with the sourdough. Once we're moved and settled I'll have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! I thought of making hot cross buns, but haven't gotten round to it - let alone sour dough ones! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tombliboo is sooo cute with his language.
    What an excellent idea making hot cross buns with sourdough! Have never thought of that one.
    Will try.
    I made some crackers with sourdough though, they were gooood.

    ReplyDelete