Monday, April 13, 2009

Phew...



I packed over 60 boxes last week, which is why you haven;t heard from me :0)

Still, it doesn't look like anything has been done- the place is a pigsty.

Plenty more to do.

But, and I'm really proud of this "but"...I haven't just thought "oh well, we'll eat whatever".

Yes, there were easter eggs, and yes, we even bought a loaf of bread on Saturday (mostly for the sake of our poor cousin M11 who probably didn't know what him him when he saw what we now eat!), but mostly, mostly- the diet has remained the same.

My sourdough started to go al l funny, and I suspect this is because our house is like a fridge (no, I'm no exaggerating!). It;s sorted now though, and as the photo above will show...

It actually rose for the first time ever!

It was sooooo lovely and bubbly, I couldn't believe the difference. It's like "ahhh- so that's what "bubbly" means!"

Previously I'd only had the odd bubble here and there. And this coincides with what I read, that sourdough gets better and better- this will be my 4th loaf of bread I think.

Princess has requested fruit toast, and I think after the success of the hot cross buns- I just might be able to pull that off!

It's payday today- but we haven't been paid...silly boss not sorting stuff out for Easter (again!), but it doesn't matter in the slightest. I have a chicken casserole (leftover) in the freezer, a tray of chicken breasts, some steak which I will throw in to the slow-cooker.

Got heaps of apples, carrots, enough lettuce, plenty of spuds...a half loaf of sourdough ready to eat, another whole one in the oven now, a bag of mini sourdough rolls in the freezer. It wouldn't matter if we weren't paid for three more days, except that the rent is due today.

The only thing we are out of is raw milk and cream- we didn't go to the farm this weekend. I made a bavarian cream (gourmet dessert) but the cream was smelling a bit iffy- and it wasn't good. It was OK, but not good.

Rather than adding a whole 'nother post- I wanted to say what this is like so far...

Princess, aged 6 and a half has amazed me...she has perfectly adjusted to a new diet. She sees all sorts of possibilities, rather than noticing all she can;t have. (And we don't really use the word "can't), I don;t want her being denied anything she is hankering after).

She loves the bread, loves eating more meat, isn't asking for anything "bad"...is basically very happy.

She is lactose intolerant, and her speech is a bit muddly atm, and her nose permanently blocked- but, it was like that before we switched to raw milk, so I can't be sure if she reacts to that as well, or not.

Tombliboo just fits in- his main food is breastmilk, so he's cool :0)

J-Man (10) is not at all happy...he is bemoaning the lack of "real" bread, and "real" milk, and "real" ice cream and all sorts of other bits and bods. He has spent over $30 (of his own money) on McDonald's and rubbish food in the last few days. He wakes up wanting chips, which is the only snack food he knows we have in the house. It's hard work. Hard to know what to do.

DH didn't know what to do with himself last wek about lunch..his lunch in the weekends has always been sandwiches. But he seesm to be coping just fine. He just wants to be full...he would like more icecream, and I will work on that- but it's not cheap when you make it yourself with *real* ingredients.

Me...well, I love it. I felt like Coke in a major way yesterday- and had dh bring some home. I haven't had it in the house for weeks...but it's the thing I have (and chocolate) when I am hard-out on a mission (packing the house). I found it really sweet, still love it though...alas.

I love being able to make bread with no yeast- in fact only flour and water! I love eating (small amounts) of icecream with nothing nasty in it.

I even like the raw milk in my tea- which I never did before.

Now for the gross bit...for the first time in I can't remember how long, I had my monthly without bleeding right through my clothes. It was light. Possibly normal even. Like it was when I was dairy and wheat free when Tombliboo was a baby- but i wasn't dairy or wheat free this month...hooray!

4 comments:

  1. That last bit - very cool. The one good thing about getting old is I don't have that problem anymore - but if only I had know I could have solved the problems with a change in diet I could have had that relief decades ago!

    I sympathize with Jman over bread. I find homemade wholemeal bread in digestible until it is a day or two old - by which time it is stale :( I used to like it, but that was when I was buying zentrofan flour, a different method of grinding. It is very fine and even a 100% wholemeal loaf came out almost like white bread. I'm very much a texture person so that matters to me. But then the guy stopped selling direct and I have been unable to access it. Chantal sells it but I would have to have an account and business references etc etc and I don't really have those :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cally...the zentrofan flour is amazing! That's what we used to get, but it's been out of stock...my friend Natalie has an account- we are going to try to get some this week. You can also buy it at Huckleberry Farm, but it is nearly twice as dear. The good thing about an account with Chantal is you have no minimum orders you need to make (unlike Ceres), and no minimum value either.

    I forgot to also say I made waffles yesterday (the NT way)...I thought they might be nasty, but they were great...J-Man spat out his first bite and wouldn't revisit them, but his cousin (who is at least as fussy...er, discerning) declared them delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Packing is such a pain, isn't it? We are almost packed. Boy, was it a lot of work to get to this point so I totally understand where you are coming from.

    Very exciting about the bread baking and the waffles and sticking to the NT eating (for the most part). Woohoo for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, I refuse to believe you live in a fridge, you live in Auckland!!! And it's not even winter.
    I literally do live in a fridge atm. It will turn to freezer temperatures in a month or two. Actually, last week T said to me, "do you have smoke coming out of your mouth mum" when it was actually just my breath on the cold air!

    ReplyDelete